I originally found this recipe in the cookbook “How to Cook Everything” by Mark Bittman and adapted my recipe from that. It’s easy to make and is one of my favorite ways to eat French green beans or Haricot Vert. I’ve made this dish with fresh beans and most recently with Trader Joe’s frozen beans. Of course, if you can’t find Haricot Vert – regular green beans will work too!
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon onion granules
- Salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for about 1 hour. Check every 15 minutes and add more water, if necessary.
- The beans are ready when all of the liquid has been absorbed. Add more salt and pepper and lemon juice to taste.
NOTE: You can let this cook longer than an hour and it won’t hurt anything. You’ll also see that when you start this dish your beans will be bright and green. After cooking they do lose color – but don’t despair! They taste delicious!