I love a simple, one pot dinner. And this one if easy and full of flavor! I found this recipe from number-2-pencil.com and have made my own adjustments based on personal preferences.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken cut into bite sized pieces (I like thighs but breasts are good too)
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 14 oz smoked sausage, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound Penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning or to taste (I use my homemade Emeril’s Essence – link below)
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese freshly shredded, more as needed
- Grated Parmesan for garnish
You’ll need a stockpot with a lid – I use my 8 quart Calphalon pot.
Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in olive oil over medium high heat.
Add sausage and continue to cook until lightly browned.
Add chicken broth, heavy cream, dried pasta, garlic and Cajun seasoning to pot.
Stir together and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
Reduce heat to low and let cook covered for about 15-20 minutes. Check it then to see if the pasta is tender.
Remove pot from heat and gradually stir in Parmesan cheese.
Plate it and sprinkle with additional Parmesan to taste.
NOTE: I’ve made this two slightly different ways. One using the smoked sausage and Cajun seasoning. Or I’ve made it with spicy sausage for the heat and left most of the Cajun seasoning out. It’s delicious either way!
Homemade Emeril’s Essence is here.